[obol] Re: Boreal Chickadees?

  • From: Stefan Schlick <greenfant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx" <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>, OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 17:39:47 -0400

In Northern WA state (anywhere between Harts Pass and Mt. Salmo), Boreal
Chickadees are strictly confined to their habitat of pretty much 5500ft and
above. I'm not aware ever having heard of a sighting a few miles "down the
mountain" from their habitat. I.e. towns like Conconully or Loomis (the former
is birded quite heavily in the winter) just do not see them, in no season.
In summary, Boreal Chickadee is not a species to be expected as a vagrant in
OR.
Stefan SchlickHillsboro, OR

Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 13:31:39 -0700
Subject: [obol] Re: Boreal Chickadees?
From: matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx
To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I was informed by one OBOLer that Boreal Chickadees do not occur in Oregon, and
where the nearest place to look for them is. Perhaps I should clarify my
post..., which was following up on previous posts by myself and others on the
current chickadee dispersal.
Since Mtn Chickadees have recently shown a small southward movement through W
OR all the way to the coast, and CB Chickadees have staged a phenomenal
movement in W OR, perhaps most noticeable along the coast, I was wondering if
Boreal Chickadees, which normally occur S to NE WA, N ID, NW MT, might be
affected by the same or similar environmental condition as the Mtn and CB
chickadees, and thus be traveling south to somewhere in Oregon as we speak.
I was wondering if someone like Khanh Tran (sorry for poor spelling in original
post) or anyone else who regularly birds in the region where Boreal Chickadees
occur and/or where the species may be most likely to enter Oregon (NE OR) had
any thoughts or observations.
Hope that clarifies the intent of my original post.
Matt
On Oct 7, 2015 10:33 AM, "Matthew G Hunter" <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Did I get your heart pumping?

... I wonder if whatever is affecting Chestnut-backed and Mountain Chickadees
might also affect Boreal Chickadees. What do you think Kahn, others? Anyone out
looking? Best place to look probably NE OR? Any chance they could make it to OR
Cascades?
Matt Hunter

Melrose