[obol] Boiler Bay and other sites

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Phil Pickering <philliplc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 10:36:39 -0800

The problem with Blanco as a fall seawatch location is that the last
quarter-mile of the point is inaccessible, somewhat higher than the “saddle”
and half-covered with trees. If the “tourist station” out there isn’t open,
you can’t get even that close to the end. Thus the seawatch is from the saddle
and is basically limited to a partial arc north or a somewhat better arc south.
Also, the north view (and approach path) is partly occluded by rocks at the
mouth of the Sixes River.

My impression is that it is a better place in spring with nw winds than in fall
with sw winds because the view to the south is much better and there are fewer
rocks in the “pocket” that the birds move into.

On the Port Orford CBC we have permission to go the end to watch, and that is
somewhat better, but access is clumsy, the NW view mostly occluded by trees
(there used to be a rudimentary trail through them, not sure if it is still
there) and there are no safety features at all. It’s too bad that the actual
tip of Blanco can’t be given to the state for a park site, it has some symbolic
value as the westernmost piece of connected land in the lower 48, I think.
There is an island in Washington that is further west.

Arago is better than Blanco in fall partly because of the wonderful open view
from Shore Acres (a fee site). You can also hide behind the windbreak of the
“view house”. I have better luck there than from the tip of the cape, but the
tip is pretty good. In winter storm conditions with a typical sw wind, the
north cove at Arago is partly protected by Shell Island (where the pinnipeds
haul out) and can be a great place to see jaegers, gulls, alcids, Red Phals and
other birds that don’t want to weather the cape or are just looking for food.

I have had good luck at the Heceta Head lighthouse in winter; I may try it this
month.

Alan Contreras
acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx

On Nov 3, 2015, at 10:18 AM, Phil Pickering <philliplc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

http://s1014.photobucket.com/user/villaesc/media/Birds/2015/BB_zpsaw1phwdr.jpg.html

Great thanks Dawn. You can see how southbound
blow-ins over a large section of ocean to the N/NE could
potentially be focused by west winds right to the point -
to an even greater extent than some headlands that are
much more impressive visually. Sort of a pelagic version
of the Pt. Pelee effect.
Cape Arago is similarly situated. And of course Cape Blanco appears to be the
ultimate version of this,
although I don't recall ever seeing a report of a storm
related seawatch from there. A few in fair weather.

Phil