[obol] Boiler Bay

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Phil Pickering <philliplc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 17:18:43 -0800

Does anyone know why Boiler Bay is such a good seabird viewing spot? The
overlook sticks out, oh, fifty yards, and that stretch of coast is nothing
special to look at. Yet I have seen perfectly ridiculous things there. 29
Sabine’s Gulls cruising by in one hour. Multiple viewings of both Leach’s and
Ft Storm-Petrel with binos. Buller’s Shearwaters. Fulmars floating in the
weeds. Other people have seen albatrosses, Scripps Murrlet so close it could be
photographed, distant Mottled Petrels etc.

The only other place in Oregon that I have had similar, but not as good, action
is Cape Arago, and it is not as consistent.

What is it, upwellings of good smells?

Alan Contreras
acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx