[obol] Re: Boiler Bay

  • From: "Phil Pickering" <philliplc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 19:14:48 -0800

The overlook sticks out, oh, fifty yards

At least from the perspective of a southbound
seabird that's not the case. Government point is
the apex of a long gradual SW bend in the coastline
so that the point itself is actually about 2 miles
further west than the beach along the northern
part of Lincoln City. Because the extension is
gradual it doesn't seem like a big whoop when
you're standing there compared to Cape Lookout
etc. But to a southbound seabird flying past Cascade Head Government Point presents an
obstacle every bit as significant as Cape Lookout.
This is speculation, but I'm guessing many southbound birds must be aiming right for the
point just as a matter of efficiency.

upwellings of good smells

The underwater topography does seem to be conducive to upwelling lines closer to shore than most other places
along the coast. It has been observed many times in
California (Richard Rowlett) that migrant seabirds, at
least in spring, will often focus their movements along
these lines, potentially bringing them closer to shore.
I've sort of seen the same thing from Boiler Bay when
the light is right, but most days it's tough to tell
what's going on in that regard from such a low
viewpoint.

I'm also guessing a lot of the productivity compared to
other places has to do with disproportionate observer
effort. For example my impression is Coos birders seem
to report similar numbers of pelagics following storms
from Cape Arago if there is comparable effort.
Phil