[obol] Hayden Island Surf Scoter, Red-necked Grebe

  • From: Andy Frank <andydfrank@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 11:32:24 -0800

I started today at Broughton Beach hoping to re-find the Surf Scoter found
yesterday. I biked about 1/4 mile past Sea Scout base and found one small
group of scaup, but no scoters. I looked at the gull roost area from the
bike path with binoculars (translation- I was far enough away that I could
have missed something) and saw 2 Dunlin but did not see the Black-bellied
Plover.

At Columbia Point on Hayden Island there were 73 Western Grebes (no
Clark's), 1 Horned Grebe, many scaup and one Red-necked Grebe. A few
hundred yards east from there was a single Surf Scoter by itself (scope was
definitely required).

Andy Frank