[muglo] Re: printer

  • From: Martin Albinger <max@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 23:22:41 -0400

Jim Taylor wrote:
> It's new Martin and a good one. It just ate some paper and I can't seem to
> free it up. jim

Ahh!  Given the price of printers these days you'd think they
were throw away items.  I have an older HP laser (5MP about 6
years old?) not the fastest, not the sharpest but consistent.  I
had some problems with it not picking up paper.  Took it up to
Terry Steeper in Parkhill.  After figuring out what caused the
problem (a clutch mechanism) all it took to repair it was a
plastic tie (the kind that self ratchets?).  Parts alone from HP
were going to be about $80 to $110 and then tech time on top of
that. I spoke to Mac Outpost after it started misbehaving and
tech time was I think $60 an hour.  I think I spent about $30 at
Terry's and got a few new parts thrown in.

It doesn't look elegant but you can't see the repair when the
covers are all on.  In watching Terry I learned how to take it
apart too which came in handy later when some labels got gummed
up inside. That was fun cleaning those out!!  I had forgotten to
drop the rear tray which allows a straight through paper path
with no rollers to reverse the direction.

It may be that there is a piece of paper caught somewhere that
you can't quite see.  Have you tried taking it apart yourself to
see? (not under warranty tho).

Others' suggestions have been good so I won't add to those

Martin