[muglo] Re: imac

  • From: Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 16:48:13 -0500

Oooooooooooo boy, you ask a lot of questions!

On 11/7/05, Hawk <taylorc547@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Some questions. Bought a new iMac my first new computer in three or four
> years. I amazed myself by actually getting it up and running, although it
> did t ake me a while. However, I can't quite get the hand of how the net
> works. Mind you I only had a brief time to work at it on the weekend.
>       Prompt asked for data on my isp which i dutifully entered. I got
> online OK but . . .

Good!

I will make some safe assumptions:
1. You are running OS X 10.4.x
2. You did correctly set-up your internet

FYI The reason icons are no longer included is that many people
(probably most people who buy the new iMacs) now have high speed
internet which doesn't require one to log-in.

Now here's your solution (and, you get to learn something about the
power of OS X's Spotlight):

1. Press command-space bar (apple key-spacebar).
2. Type "modem status"
3. Click on "Network" (it will be your "top hit")

Your computer will then do the following for you: open up the System
Preferences, select the Network preference pane and choose the
appropriate tab.

Now, it's up to you to do some work. Click on "Show modem status in menu ba=
r".

You're done!

>    My G4 has Outlook Express. Can't quite see what the imac uses. Sounds
> silly I know but I have icons on my desktop on the G4 for both the net an=
> email. Don't see how that works on the imac and getting online was
> problematic. As in not simple.  And I can't find any e-mail which I'm sur=
> is there somewhere.

E-mail is now simply called "Mail". It is found in the Applications folder.

PS If you like Outlook Express, you CAN choose to install it. However,
you will also have to install OS 9 as the Classic OS (I'm not entirely
sure how to do that... perhaps you can just insert an OS 9 install
CD?).

Hint: create an alias to your Applications folder in the "Dock". You
can then click and hold, control-click or right-click to display the
contents of the folder (it's sort of like having the OS 9 Apple menu)

>    I must say the 20" monitor is something else and it seems loaded with =
all
> kinds of gadgets, most of which I'll never figure out or use, of course. =
The
> only reason I know what Dashboard is is because I saw it explained on
> Dotto's Internet Cafe. But I'd never figure out how it works.

Press F12 to activate. Or, type command-space and search for
"dashboard". Select "Dashboard and Expose" system preference and you
can set a corner of the screen which will activate the relevant
feature.

Expose is another neat (and VERY useful) feature. It allows you to
"zoom" all visible windows or to hide the desktop, or, if you press
tab while you're viewing all visible windows you can show only the
windows for a particular app.

>     One potential problem I haven't got a handle on yet. The iMac has a
> built-in camera but it said to go online with it - conference calls, etc.=
 -
> I have to go through some lengthy setup process with - I think - AOL.
>    Anyway, I have a good high-end logitech camera I've been waiting to us=
e.
> I wonder if it will be possible to use it since the imac comes with a
> camera?

The iMac comes with a high quality built-in camera. You will be quite
pleased with the quality of the optics once you get it working. Don't
know much about it.

PS If you plan to speak with other Mac users on the net using iChat, I
would advise you to get a free AOL or .Mac account (you can get a free
.Mac account which will allow you to use iChat (you have to pay to get
e-mail and all those other .Mac goodies)). It's not hard, and you
don't actually have to give them real info!

Perhaps you'll get further with the in-built camera if you look at
Apple's help or visit Apple's support site (or call Apple's help-line
since you should be within the 90 days of complimentary AppleCare
support).

>    On another topic. When I send an email to Muglo from my computer in Po=
rt
> it's always rejected. Any reason for this?  Jim

Perhaps your computer in Port is using a different e-mail address?

Eric.