[muglo] Re: Solo Users?

  • From: Rob Vanhooren <rob_vanhooren@xxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 15:41:58 -0500

Ilbert,

Sorry to seem the prude, but isn't this like saying since you're the only one
who drives your car, you want to rip the locks off the doors, and install a
pushbutton ignition instead of the hassle of having to use a key to start it?

a./  yes, keychain access can be set to timeout with a longer period (or never)
b./  yes, you can set autologin so you don't have to type your password all the
time

Though if you make everything automatic and rip out all the security features,
and still want to connect to the Internet...  I hope for your sake that a
terminal "netstat -na | grep LISTEN' gives absolutely blank output.

Better that you have Airport, Bluetooth, and wired ethernet all disabled.  And
never travel with your computer.  And chain it to a big lead weight when you've
got it home.

People let's not forget of the Internet, generally:  "HERE THERE BE DRAGONS."

Just because *you* don't see value or reason to be responsibly secure in your
computing (aka "I haven't got anything worth stealing") -- doesn't mean *your*
wide-open system won't be compromised and subverted for use as an attack
platform for more "juicy" targets (eg. banks, merchants, governments, nuclear
utility systems' SCADA, air-traffic control, etc.)

IANAL, and Canuck law seems unclear, but the Yanks' Congress is considering
change to make a citizen vicariously liable (civilly if not criminally under
the PATRIOT Act) if your host became an active threat -- and not only did you
take no mitigating action, but rather you consciously took action to dismiss
the minimal security provided by your vendor's default settings.

Won't matter if it's just little-miss-Molly-home-user, and not
big-fat-Corporate-Joe-user.

If this is the Information Superhighway, then I ask...

"Let's Drive Responsibly."

Further, I realize your post was probably an innocent question, and you have my
apologies if this post seems harsh -- but it needs to be.  As Judge Judy might
say, too many (home and corporate) users lazily shrug off the responsibilty to
NOT DO SOMETHING ABSOLUTELY STUPID.  ;-)

Cheers,

Rob.

PS:  it's not the computer's fault.  aka. similar to "Guns don't kill People --
People kill People."

 --
Rob M. VanHooren
T +1 519 630-2096