[muglo] Re: Solo Users?

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 15:23:12 -0500

I wouldn't mess about (as British school children say) with any of the
security stuff. Initially I was rather peeved by security (over the top) in
OS X but that irritation has disappeared into the background noise (unlike
the Dock which is one of the worst GUI features ever conceived by Apple and
I'm certainly not alone. Adding the windoze-like command-tab cycling is an
improvement but this still leaves us with a non-functional dock (no labels,
no consistent placement of icons)). With Apple's focus on security we can be
assured of virus-free computing unlike those rather dim-witted Windoze
relatives using that hideous, virus-susceptible POS.

>From: Ilbert Walker <walker@xxxxxxxx>
>To: MUGLO <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [muglo] Solo Users?
>Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 13:32:15 -0500
>
>Do other solo users out there feel the same way about unnecessary (for
>me!) complications and security precautions embedded in OS X ?
>I am the only person with access to my G5 - and see no need for such
>things as Keychain Access for instance ?

Keychain access is quite important. If anyone ever does happen to gain
access to your computer (whether by burglary, theft, or even a known person)
*all* e-mail and such will be exposed.

I'm fairly happy with most of the OS X security features with one exception.
If you have the screen saver/password on wake active and someone restarts
the computer (and you have auto-login selected) the person gains access to
the login without having to enter the requisite password.

>Can I safely delete all of my Keychain items ?  e.g. Internet and mail
>passwords etc

Yes, you can safely go into the Keychain manager and delete all passwords,
however, if you do so, you'll have to enter them each time you want
something. You could set your password to blank by going into the right
system preferences pane.

>What other features are of no consequence to Solo Users which could be
>done away with ?

First, you can auto-login. Second, change your password to blank (so all you
do is hit enter). Third, have the Keychain save as many passwords as
possible (in Safari, set the Keychain to remember passwords).

Eric.