[muglo] Re: Solo Users?

  • From: Ilbert Walker <walker@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 15:43:10 -0500

Thanks Eric, for your swift and very helpful response !
I'll follow your advice and ( as an ex Brit kid myself !)..............
"do as I'm bloodywell told" !   :-)

Thanks again

Ilbert

PS It looks though you've really put Apples Dock in the Dock !!  I
agree with you, though. How we miss OS9's Apple Menu!  :-) I',
exploring some shareware alternative replacements - have you
are you using one of these ?

On 6 Feb 2004, at 3:23 PM, Eric D wrote:

> I wouldn't mess about (as British school children say) with any of the
> security stuff. Initially I was rather peeved by security (over the
> top) in
> OS X but that irritation has disappeared into the background noise
> (unlike
> the Dock which is one of the worst GUI features ever conceived by
> Apple and
> I'm certainly not alone. Adding the windoze-like command-tab cycling
> is an
> improvement but this still leaves us with a non-functional dock (no
> labels,
> no consistent placement of icons)). With Apple's focus on security we
> can be
> assured of virus-free computing unlike those rather dim-witted Windoze
> relatives using that hideous, virus-susceptible POS.
>
>> From: Ilbert Walker <walker@xxxxxxxx>
>> To: MUGLO <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Subject: [muglo] Solo Users?
>> Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 13:32:15 -0500
>>
>> Do other solo users out there feel the same way about unnecessary (for
>> me!) complications and security precautions embedded in OS X ?
>> I am the only person with access to my G5 - and see no need for such
>> things as Keychain Access for instance ?
>
> Keychain access is quite important. If anyone ever does happen to gain
> access to your computer (whether by burglary, theft, or even a known
> person)
> *all* e-mail and such will be exposed.
>
> I'm fairly happy with most of the OS X security features with one
> exception.
> If you have the screen saver/password on wake active and someone
> restarts
> the computer (and you have auto-login selected) the person gains
> access to
> the login without having to enter the requisite password.
>
>> Can I safely delete all of my Keychain items ?  e.g. Internet and mail
>> passwords etc
>
> Yes, you can safely go into the Keychain manager and delete all
> passwords,
> however, if you do so, you'll have to enter them each time you want
> something. You could set your password to blank by going into the right
> system preferences pane.

Couldn't find this one. In either Keychain or System security prefs.
You MUST enter some character to enable to save box to operate?