[muglo] OS X running on mac clone

  • From: Alex <admeddemda@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 18:16:19 -0500

Well I've now managed to get OS 10.1 installed on my powercomputing
powertowerpro (a 9500 mac clone), which has a 500mhz G3 upgrade card
in it. It took some weird manuvering, like putting the 3 hard drives
on the external scsi bus instead of the internal one (they can be
switched back to the faster internal bus after X is intalled tho). I
also had to pull the old apple cdrom, as the X installer didnt like
it much. And my 3DFX Voodoo video card had to be pulled, and I had to
use an ATI RAGE card to do the install. But now X works great on the
old tower. Now I just wish I had Jaguar instead of 10.1

For anyone considering getting rid of an older mac just bc they want
to use OSX, my experience is that the older macs can run X just as
nicely as any stock G3. I wouldn't go as far as to say they're as
good as a new G4. But I'd much rather spend ~$400 (what it cost me to
buy the tower clone, 320megs RAM, 3 hard drives [two 4 gigs and one 9
gig], internal cdrw, 2 video cards, usb card and the G3/500 XLR8
processor) on an older upgraded machine than drop $3000 plus on a new
G4. But of course Apple doesn't want you to know this... they want
your $3000 plus!

If you're thinking of installing OSX on an older machine, I'd
encourage you to check out the software XPostFacto (it's free). Most
macs are far easier to install X on than the mac clones. I prefer the
tower clone I have bc of it's 8 drive bays and 6 pci slots... no mac
ever had that much expandablity!

regards,
~Alex