[muglo] Re: OS X running on mac clone

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 09:55:23 -0500

on 26/2/03 1:37 AM, Alex at admeddemda@xxxxxx wrote:

> uhhh Eric... the beige G3 takes the exact same memory as other older
> pci-based macs, the 168 pin dimms... NOT the PC100 ram...
>
> that's 3 slots ... 128 max in each (apple recommends only 64 in
> each), max of 384megs

We're both right and we're both wrong (www.apple-history.com) :) It does
take 168 pin (I could've sworn it was PC66) *but* the max is 768 MB :)

> I'm thinking of getting an ATI Radeon 7000 64MB video card for the
> tower... so the video will be far better than the beige... the pc
> cards can supposedly be flashed and they cost a lot less than the
> 'real' mac cards.

you're still stuck with a 45 MHz bus :( :( :( Of course 45 vs 66 isn't
*that* large a difference. Now if you had a B&W ... ;) ;) ;)

One thought I just had... if you're going to pump that kind of cash (ATI
Radeon) into a 45 MHz bus machine perhaps you can still get yourself a
bottom of the line B&W and live with the 16 MB video instead, but have a 100
MHz bus, built-in FW, and an option serial port if you're that desperate for
serial stuff (plus, it's fully supported by OS X, no fiddling required).

L8r, Eric.