[muglo] Re: OS X running on mac clone

  • From: Alex <admeddemda@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 01:37:11 -0500

>  The Beige can go up to 768 MB of RAM
>which for most use is more than enough in OS X (I find 0.5 GB enough except
>on the worst of days, and even then it's not that bad once the OS gets rid
>of the redundant crap from memory).
>
>It has a few advantages over the PCI Macs: 66 MHz bus (that's 15-25 MHz
>(30-50%) faster than the old ones), takes (cheaper) PC66/100/133 RAM,

uhhh Eric... the beige G3 takes the exact same memory as other older
pci-based macs, the 168 pin dimms... NOT the PC100 ram...

that's 3 slots ... 128 max in each (apple recommends only 64 in
each), max of 384megs

the blue and white G3's take the newer ram, which is a big
advantage... the ram on the beige g3's is what really makes them crap
(IMO)

I'm thinking of getting an ATI Radeon 7000 64MB video card for the
tower... so the video will be far better than the beige... the pc
cards can supposedly be flashed and they cost a lot less than the
'real' mac cards.

regards,
~Alex