[muglo] Re: Compression...

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 15:49:14 -0500

> >New machine et al...want to send the pix to PC users and having
>difficulty
> >getting it received by hotmail and yahoo users.
> >
> >What package should I use to compress it and be expandable by PC users.

I see what your problem is -- (a) too much resolution and (b) not enough
compression (you loose colour clarity though).

Use GraphicConverter (<http://www.lemkesoft.de/en/graphcon.htm>) to convert
your pictures to:
(a) 1024 x 768 (preferred), 800 x 600 or 640 x 480 (any smaller & you can't
see anything)
(b) JPEG saved at 70%

Given that you don't have highly complex images you should have files <100 K
in size (people pictures are low complexity... my biggest picture ever was
of a "script" lichen on a granitic rock... the sheer complexity resulted in
such a complex image that even at 40% compression (and, at that point
pictures become pretty rough) the file was 200k)

PS 70% doesn't actually translate to file sizes 30% smaller. They're usually
*much* smaller.

Eric.