[muglo] Re: Compression...

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 15:28:36 -0500

Just right-click (ctrl-click if you have the stupid Mac mouse... now that
Apple supports right-click they should really offer Mac users the option to
have an *Apple* branded mouse with two buttons and a scroll wheel) the
folder/disk and select "Create Archive of...". This will create a .zip
archive that nearly any computer in the world can open.

Alternately, use Stuffit's (DropStuff) .sit or .sitx format. Aladdin
Expander for Windows is a free download and can decompress Mac Stuffit
files.

Plus, you should realise that you gain *nothing* by creating an archive of
images (other than to send one file instead of a number). Standard file
compression algorithms do nothing to reduce file size. Attach files
individually instead. This will also force you to send only the good
pictures. The simple rule of thumb with images is to throw away 9 out of 10
pictures. With digicams the ratio of signal to noise is even lower so maybe
it should be 19 out of 20.

Eric.