[muglo] Re: Autofill

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 15:20:33 -0500

>Do others of you find Safari's autofill temperamental ? Sometimes
>saying it can't find data in Address Book when it really IS there ? And
>no way to change this !

Huh? Me no understand. For me it works quite well though sometimes it enters
the wrong data (since I have three separate addresses in two different
countries I can understand why it gets confused).

>Oh! for Explorer where it was possible customize personal info, ID
>numbers etc - which are a real bind to type in manually each time.

I found it to be a pain in the derriere since you had to actively set it up.
Safari does it automagically without me having to do anything special in the
browser.

>This  autofill feature is NOT available in other browsers, Camino,
>Firebird, Firefox etc

Yes, it is and I regularly get auto-filled forms in Camino (not sure about
anything else since I only use Camino and Safari). It seems to depend on the
webpage and whether it is secure or not or designed in a certain manner (so
that Keychain/Camino can detect the fields).

>but IS available in OmniWeb. Do any of you use
>OmniWeb and how do you find it ?  It bugs me to have to pay when Safari
>is available free! But perhaps it's worth it ?

Well, if OmniWeb does it then perhaps it's worth paying for. The authors of
OmniWeb afterall don't get any $$$ for releasing free software of the
complexity of a web browser. Apple keeps it simple and has a vested interest
in providing Mac users with a web browser that can compete with the likes of
IE 6 on Windoze (and I'm sure MS isn't sitting still allowing Netscape to
catch up).

>Paul - how are you finding FireFox ?  It appears as fast as Safari -
>but I repeat my question - where does leave Camino - as the supposedly
>Mac dedicated Mozilla browser?  Will it be replaced or combined with
>FireFox  - which seems to be cross platform ?

I'll see what thoughts are posted later on (plus, I don't know what FireFox
is yet... was FireBird renamed yet again?... another copyright
infringement?).

>This returns me to the original reason for The Survey - what is the
>BEST all round  browser and mail programmes to use (on OSX) ?

It DEPENDS on your personal needs. If you never do complex browsing, IE! On
a faster computer it'll be more than fast enough and it'll handle the most
complicated pages you can throw at it that the other browsers can't and it's
still got a robust feature set.

However, if you like to browse multiple windows/tabs, Safari and Camino are
good choices. OmniWeb and iCab will appeal to some people who like these
apps' feature sets whilst Netscrash and Mozilla will appeal to the
kitchen-sink persons who like reasonable (though, not as good as IE) web
capability. FireBird (FireFox?) has a *lot* of potential and will soon rival
Camino for polish (the last build I d/l before going to Ireland was much
more Mac-like than earlier ones).

Eric.