[mswindowsxp] Re: Windows Messenger UPDATE Causes a 2nd Occurrance of Messenger

  • From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 10:37:42 -0800 (PST)

To uninstall Windows Messenger:

1. Using Notepad, open the file \windows\inf\sysoc.inf

2. Change the line that reads

msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7

msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7

3. Go to the Control Panel, choose Add/Remove Programs, and select the "Windows
Components" tag.

4. "Windows Messenger" now appears at the bottom of the list. Remove it as you
would any other application.

An alternative solution if the above doesn't work:

Enter this in the RUN window (without quotes) and click ok to the dialogue
appearing afterwards:

." RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection

%windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove "

XP may log a little slower the first time after uninstalling messenger and ask
you whether you want to clean the data of the messenger. Click OK.

If any of the above doesn't work, you can download Microsoft MVP Doug Knox's
vbscript here to delete it:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_messenger_remove.htm