[modular-debian] Re: More thoughts on Plan 9 and GUIs

  • From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modular-debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 13:04:07 -0500

Steve Litt wrote:
On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 08:18:32 -0500
Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

David L. Craig wrote:
The main Plan 9 flavors are Bell
Labs, 9front, and Inferno.  Don't be too quick to write
it off, IMHO.
I'm not writing it off at all - it's a great o/s, and the 9p protocol
is particularly interesting in its own right.

What I'm questioning is whether it's a starting point for a "modular
Debian ecosystem" - in that it is explicitly neither Linux nor Unix,
and doesn't have a base of Debian packaged software to start with.
My viewpoint is that "Modular Debian" is, or at least later became,
much more inclusive than Debian without systemd. From my perspective,
it is, or became, a place for discussion and/or help to get away from
systemd and similar types of gratuitous entanglement, by whatever means
necessary, as long as it's free software.

Well.... ok, though an editorial comment, if I might: "modular-debian" and a list description that says:

-----
modular-debian: Toward a more modular Debian OS

Debian has recently introduced systemd as default init system, replacing the long-serviceable sysvinit system. As dependencies on systemd and other monolithic services diffuse through the Debian package ecosystem, users will tend to be forced to use systemd,This list is to discuss ways to maintain a more modular Debian ecosystem, and to avoid snowballing dependencies on a single init system.
-----

might, just might, be a tad confusing. Perhaps it's worth considering changing the name and description earlier, rather than later.

Miles