[modular-debian] Re: More thoughts on Plan 9 and GUIs

  • From: "David L. Craig" <dlc.usa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modular-debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 23:41:35 -0500

Actually, that was written by Marty <martyb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>.

> ummm folks... before starting to chant "plan 9" it would behoove us to
> understand what plan 9 actually is
>
> it's primarily an extension of core concepts, specifically:
> - extending the concept of all objects as files or file systems
> - incorporating network communications more thoroughly
> - adding the notion of private namespaces
>
> it's a step beyond Unix, and a good one, but probably not a starting point
> for "a more modular Debian ecosystem"

Well, you can just recompile your favorite apps in it,
certainly.  Plan 9 is officially an R&D OS but it has
acreted a lot of stable and amazingly straight-forward
paradigms that work very well together.  They kept
what they considered the best of UNIX but tried out
a lot of second-generation ideas that mostly turned
out quite well (the /proc hierarchical filesystem and
UTF-8, for example).  The main Plan 9 flavors are Bell
Labs, 9front, and Inferno.  Don't be too quick to write
it off, IMHO.
--
<not cent from sell>
May the LORD God bless you exceedingly abundantly!

"So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.
 You'd better rearrange your beliefs, then.
 Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe."
__--from_Nightfall_by_Asimov/Silverberg_________________