[modular-debian] Re: More thoughts on Plan 9 and GUIs

  • From: Steve Litt <slitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modular-debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 16:16:34 -0500

On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 05:28:08 +1100
Andrew McGlashan <andrew.mcglashan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 29/11/2014 5:04 AM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> > Steve Litt wrote:
> > Well.... ok, though an editorial comment, if I might:
> > "modular-debian" and a list description that says:
> >
> > -----
> > modular-debian: Toward a more modular Debian OS
> >
> > Debian has recently introduced systemd as default init system,
> > replacing the long-serviceable sysvinit system. As dependencies on
> > systemd and other monolithic services diffuse through the Debian
> > package ecosystem, users will tend to be forced to use systemd,This
> > list is to discuss ways to maintain a more modular Debian
> > ecosystem, and to avoid snowballing dependencies on a single init
> > system. -----
> >
> > might, just might, be a tad confusing.  Perhaps it's worth
> > considering changing the name and description earlier, rather than
> > later.
>
> If you want this to be Debian Modular specific, ten this list is also
> useless to me.
>
> It's a bad name and the description is wrong -- unless it is right and
> in that case, I don't have any reason to remain here.
>
> Cheers
> A.

Hi Andrew,

I don't think anyone's trying to enforce this list being only about a
Debian solution. I think it's pretty universally acknowledged that
there will be several different solutions, and that this list
accommodates different solutions.

Changing the name at this point would be a bad idea, because the name
"modular-debian" has acquired a heck of a lot of goodwill and
publicity. Everyone knows about it. Everyone knows this is where you go
if you want a Unix like OS without systemd.

SteveT