[modular-debian] Re: More thoughts on Plan 9 and GUIs

  • From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modular-debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 08:18:32 -0500

David L. Craig wrote:
On 14Nov27:2301-0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:

David L. Craig wrote:
With the GUI out of the way, we can focus on the user-space system.
My proposals for that foundation are Plan 9 and Go (with C
for the performance parts).
Actually, that was written by Marty <martyb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>.

ummm folks... before starting to chant "plan 9" it would behoove us to
understand what plan 9 actually is

it's primarily an extension of core concepts, specifically:
- extending the concept of all objects as files or file systems
- incorporating network communications more thoroughly
- adding the notion of private namespaces

it's a step beyond Unix, and a good one, but probably not a starting point
for "a more modular Debian ecosystem"
Well, you can just recompile your favorite apps in it,
certainly.  Plan 9 is officially an R&D OS but it has
acreted a lot of stable and amazingly straight-forward
paradigms that work very well together.  They kept
what they considered the best of UNIX but tried out
a lot of second-generation ideas that mostly turned
out quite well (the /proc hierarchical filesystem and
UTF-8, for example).  The main Plan 9 flavors are Bell
Labs, 9front, and Inferno.  Don't be too quick to write
it off, IMHO.

I'm not writing it off at all - it's a great o/s, and the 9p protocol is particularly interesting in its own right.

What I'm questioning is whether it's a starting point for a "modular Debian ecosystem" - in that it is explicitly neither Linux nor Unix, and doesn't have a base of Debian packaged software to start with.

Maybe it's time to migrate to Plan9, or to put energy into packaging applications for Plan9, or even a new Plan9 distro - but somehow that doesn't seem like the basis for a "more modular Debian ecosystem."

Respectfully,

Miles Fidelman