[modeleng] Re: bandsaws

  • From: "Wilfried Vermeiren" <vermeiren.wilfried@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 18:48:19 +0100

Hi,
I do it pretty much in the same way as Jesse. Bevel the end of the =
blade, I
use =BD inch for about 3/16 th but I have a look beforehand as to the
direction the blade travels in. A bit difficult to explain this one. =
When
you put the bandsaw arm in the upright position the blade travels down =
true
the rollers the point of the bevel should point upwards on the outside =
of
the blade. Seems to me I have less trouble with the joint this way.
A jig is a must as you should aim to get the joint as straight as =
possible
at the back of the blade. Otherwise the arm will jump up at the joint. =
Also
take care to make sure the joint is the same thickness as the blade, or
failing that thinner.
I always silver solder and leave the joint to cool on its own so no =
sudden
cooling. This way the joint is soft and flexible.
By the way there are a few action shots of the bandsaw in the building
report of 2-times on the web page.
Regards
Wilfried Vermeiren
http://users.skynet.be/modelbouw.wilfried