[modeleng] bandsaws

  • From: "Wilfried Vermeiren" <vermeiren.wilfried@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 20:13:32 +0100

Hi,
When someone is asking " I have a lathe what should I buy next ? " the best
answer I my opinion is a band saw. Once you have one you can't without and
if you don't have one you surely miss something.
As with all machine tools the tool is one thing but then comes the tooling
!! Band saws can be bought some good some bad and some *** well in all cases
expensive and the more you spoil or break the more .
I stopped buying ready made ones years ago and buy instead a case which
contains around 30m of the stuff. The means of joining them is easy flo
silver solder. Al that is needed is a simple jig to hold the blade whilst
brazing.
If you prepare a couple at a time you will always have a spare at hand and a
broken one can be repaired the same way.
I started of with a case with 24 teeth but collected a range during the
years.
As for where to buy, have a word with the people who sharpen tools or
machine tooling suppliers.
Regards
Wilfried Vermeiren
http://users.skynet.be/modelbouw.wilfried