[modeleng] Re: What's happening to the list?

  • From: "Terry Lane" <tel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 09:04:28 +1000

A well put response AJ, there are probably a multitude of reasons for the
current slump, however I do feel that the heavy crackdown on OT is a
significant contributing factor. Not just my opinion, but, as we have seen,
the opinion of others on the list and I have recieved a number of private
emails indicating a similar feeling. I also know of several ex members who
became ex because of the restriction, so that cuts both was as well.

Lucky I got broad shoulders, a more sensitive person could well have become
somewhat miffed to be told they had 'popped up' (out of the blue as it were)
with my post when all I was doing was responding to a posted question.

As one person commented to me - pehaps it's time we pushed the envelope a
little, just to see what level of OT freelists will tolerate.

> I think that there are several reasons for the list being quiet at
present.
> The "old" list used to be quieter in summer than in winter and Andy's
Board
> has fewer posts than a few months ago.
> I expect many members are busy making things, or out and about, rather
than
> spending time at the computer.
>
> Another reason for the list being quiet, is that usually I try to post
> topics that will generate some responses and discussion.
> Unfortunately, I have been, and still am, rather busy with work right now,
> and havent been able to devote as much time to the list as I would like.
> From being on-line several times each day, I am now only on-line every
> couple of days.
>

> As for "moderation", in fact, this list is not moderated.
> That would mean that all messages were sent to me, or the other
moderators,
> to approve, before sending them to the list.
>
> Having said that, I will elaborate about the "off topic" policy.
>
> When Andy closed the "old" list, I felt that it left a gap, and several
> people agreed with me.
> Therefore I looked round for a host for a new list.
> I found four.
> Topica, which, as many will recall caused a lot of problems and was
dropped
> by Andy. For that reason, I ignored them.
>
> Two of them were advertising-supported, one by sending sales emails to all
> list members, the other, by selling the email addresses to marketting
> companies.
> I would not accept that for myself, so wouldnt ask anyone else to do so.
>
> And, there is Freelists.
>
> I even investigated paid-for lists. The cheapest I found cost $50 PER
MONTH.