[modeleng] Re: Stuart 6A

  • From: Chris Crosskey <chris.crosskey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 08:43:00 +0000

Hi folks...

Further to my quest to find a sensible motor  for a small paddle launch I made
a  happy discovery.... Many moons ago I bought a partially complete Stent T+C
grinder.... as it stands it's come in handy for small grinding jobs, but I
thought I ought to get round to making up the rest of the tool-holding for it
sometime... so when I found the set of ME's relating to it they went onto the
bathroom reading shelf.... whereupon I found that they coincided with a series
of articles in the Countrymans Steam section relating to a launch engine, built
as a V-twin compound and rated for 5HP or so... it looks a lot easier to build
without castings than the Stuart and it's possible castings are available for
it, there was even a boiler design for it which although I probably won't use
at least gives me a good idea of how big the boiler needs to be...

The motor is about 2 1/2+3 1/2 x 5, and being a vee of course there's only a
single throw crank to make, and although you have to make two separate cylinder
sets up they're both less complex than the Stuart.  The big piece is the frame,
but really it's just a big welding job, if a casting was available for it I
might go for it but anyway.....

chrisc