[modeleng] Stuart 6A

  • From: Chris Crosskey <chris.crosskey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 13:44:32 +0000

Has anyone here ever built the Stuart 6A? Opinions on doing it with a Myford
ML7 and a mid-sized horizontal/vertical milling machine?

I'm considering one as a motor for my boat project (12" to the foot paddlewheel
launch). I was also wondering about basically co-opting its design and building
without castings, opinions sought on that too.

Reason for going for it is that it's an established design so info available on
power output and steam consumption, but the castings are rather expensive and I
do have lots of bits of biggish stock kicking around that I could use. Push
comes to shove I might have to buy the cylinder block or else come up with a
way of doing castings at home...

Chris