[modeleng] Re: Driver quartering

  • From: Harry Wade <hww@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 11:55:14 -0500

At 03:06 PM 8/9/04 +0100, you wrote:
>Would it suprise you to know that all locomotives that I've been involved
>with are inside Stephensons gear.

Rich,
    No, it's my favorite gear, but this one needed a Walschearts and I've
never done one before so it will be a learning experince (one hopes).

>one reservation, that being to make sure
>that the force from the taper fit doesn't crack the boss on the wheel,

    There is a hefty boss and only a slight force is needed to lock the
taper, far below what might damage the wheel.  Possibly the most difficult
part?  Turning the taper so that the crankpin neither sinks too far in nor
stands too proud of the wheel hub face.  I haven't done the math on how
much change in engagement distance a .001" increment on diameter will make
in a 6 degree (included angle) taper.

Regards,
Harry Wade
Nashville  Tennessee