[modeleng] Re: Driver quartering

  • From: "R.L. Roebuck" <rlr20@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 15:01:05 +0100 (BST)

I was told that the loctite works by forming crystals which jam the
workpieces in place, so if you are glueing a wheel on an axle, you need to
leave a couple of thou clearance so that there is some liquid loctite
in the gap. When starved of oxygen in the space, the crystals start to
grow, and jam in place preventing the wheel from shifting. Heating gets
rid of the crystals so that you can remove the wheel again. Presumably
this is why the joint strength isn't much weakened if you don't clean the
oil from the components.

The same person told me that it is the same process which caused the lid
to jam on a bottle of Baileys and that heating by running under a warm tap
also acts to free this.

ONE SLIGHT THING THOUGH...

This doesn't quite explain why a drop of loctite spilt between free
surfaces, (ie a block of metal sat on a surface table) will cause a bond
that requires a substantial tap with a hammer to break it - so if anyone
could either confirm or totally rubbish the above, it would be good.

Yours,

Rich.