[modeleng] Re: Driver quartering

  • From: "alanjstepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 08:26:06 +0100

I think that keyways are probably the most common method here, on the larger
scales.
If you dont want to do that, I would favour a press fit, and then drill a
hole half in the wheel, half in the axle, and fit a pin in it.
It is tried-and-tested, and works well.
Once everything is cleaned up, it is almost invisible too.

As for the crankpins, although your proposed method  is certainly unusual, I
seem to recollect seeing it suggested before, Might have been by Martin
Evans on one of  his large loco's, or perhaps it was in one of the LLAS
magazines.

However, unique or not, and I am sure that aspect does not concern you, I
think it is a good idea. It should make setting them up in the first place
relatively easy.

As for the actual manufacture of the matching tapers, I am sure that you
have already decided how you want to do it.

If it was me, I would set the cross slide at the required angle for the
taper, then turn 3 crank pins (I always like making a spare "just in case")
and then turn a piece of silver steel /drill rod, at the same setting . (I
would probably do 2 pieces of ss / dr.) Finally, file the silver steel down
to a D bit, harden and temper,  and use that to cut the internal taper in
the wheel.

alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

www.alanstepney.info
Model Engineering, Steam Engine, and Railway technical pages.