[mira_talk] Re: Vector screen

  • From: Bastien Chevreux <bach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 23:57:22 +0100

On Monday 14 March 2011 21:15:13 Sven Klages wrote:
> What part of the pre-processing software is capable of vector clipping?
> You can easily clip 5' adaptors, maybe some basic 3' adaptor clipping, but
> that's it.
> There is no vector clipping 'module' in the pre-processing pipeline.

Oops, hold on a minute. What I meant is: I never really saw 454 SFF files
(those created by the Roche software) which had, when done "correctly"[1],
adaptors left in the unclipped data. Now the quesion I was asking myself is
why anyone would want to do a "vector" trimming on that data.

Just wondering here ...

> The assembler itself has options to do vector screening and trimming prior
> to the assembly process. But this is not usable outside the assembler
> suite.

Wasn't that just something added to Newbler to be able to mix 454 and Sanger
(the latter could have vectors)?

B.

[1] whatever "correctly" is ... I just saw the SFFs as delivered by sequencing
providers and they were "good"