[mira_talk] Re: Scaffolding MIRA results with BAMBUS: a primer

  • From: Brian Forde <bforde@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 12:29:50 +0100

I have a bambus related question if some one has the time to answer it.

I am trying to use bambus to generate scaffolds from my 454 mate -pairs (3kb
library) but always get the same amount of scaffolds as contigs. I assume
that this is a problem with my mates file but have no idea how to fix it.

Library threeKB 700     3000    (..............).*
pair    (.*)\.f (.*)\.r

all values are separated by tabs. I know its not a bambus help list but some
ppl seem to have had great success with producing scaffolds

Thanks in advance

Brian

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 7:31 AM, Martin A. Hansen <mail@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That does indeed look very useful!
>

> Martin
>

> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 12:16 AM, Bastien Chevreux <bach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Gregory Harhay from the USDA has written an excellent primer on how he
>> uses
>> BAMBUS to scaffold MIRA results. I'll distribute it along the next
>> releases,
>> in the mean time you can find it in the online "Manuals" section on the
>> MIRA
>> website:
>>   http://www.chevreux.org/mira_manuals.html
>>
>> He shows an example for how to do it with a 25kb paired-end library.
>> Adapting
>> to other library sizes or for projects with different library sizes should
>> be
>> doable with a bit of reading manuals (MIRA & BAMBUS) :-)
>>
>> This is the first third-party documentation received (yay!) and I'd like
>> thank Greg wholeheartedly for this as I know it'll help out a few people.
>>
>> Best,
>>  Bastien
>>
>> PS: In other news, the final release of MIRA 3 is being delayed by
>> something I
>> don't know whether it's a true memory leak or memory fragmentation eating
>> up
>> available memory. The joys of millions of reads ... *sigh*
>>
>> --
>> You have received this mail because you are subscribed to the mira_talk

"If scientists knew what they were doing they wouldn't call it research"