[macvoiceover] Re: Scan-to-Text OCR App

  • From: Tuscia-Falconer <falconer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2013 13:01:10 +1300

It is bundled but in the sense that I had to download the drivers for the
printer, scanner and control centre from the Brother site, not too difficult.
I am now checking out a ‘NuSoft’  control centre called ‘Presto’ which is also
available free to Brother users, initially I did not find it so easy to
navigate but just noticed it has installed basic commands in the ‘Menus Extra’
to ‘scan-to-email, scan-to-print and scan-to-OCR..
So, this is providing interest on a rainy day.

The Brother machine is DCP-j152w, probably about US$70.
It printed so much faster than my previous Epsom I thought it had not printed
at all !
It also has a feeder tray inside the base which makes it a bit more compact for
me, plus physical buttons as well as computer controlled.

TF
On 7/12/2013, at 12:29 pm, Ian Edwards <ianedwards42@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

is the bundled software  proprietary or a 3rd party package like Omni Page or
MP Navigator? I’ve been fighting with my old Cannon scanner trying to get it to
talk to my Mac, and it would be good to have some options for an off the shelf
solution for OCR.

Ian