[macvoiceover] Beware of OIS 7

  • From: robert thompson <thompsbk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 09:23:02 -0700

Hello,
I'm a lurker and seldom post.  I'm partially sighted.  I can barely see an eye
chart but can point a camera and do a lot of photography.  We have put OIS 7 on
my iPad and my wife's iPhone.  Her eyes are very good.  I use a mouse and zoom
to navigate my mac's 28 inch monitor and let the mac read the text.  I use
voiceover on both the phone and iPad.    Now with 7 she can not read text in
Contacts and other places.  I can not use the camera controls on the devices.
We have turned up text size, contrast and bold with little effect.  Our older
iPad still uses IOS 6.  It is much easier to use and read.

I switched to the Macintosh many year's ago because of it's crisp clear text
and icons.  Now that is not in style at Apple.   We will be going to the Apple
store to see if it is possible to switch back to 6.  If not maybe they will
trade for devices that have 6.  If not, we will walk to the Microsoft store to
look at Nokia and then check out the Android options.  Too bad Apple does not
seem to test things with people with poor eyesight.  They need some good
industrial designers who believe form should follow function.

Bob Thompson
Panoramabob.com
Photo and Video Galleries