[lit-ideas] Re: ye olde political mindset

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 13:56:40 -0400

Phil: Rather, we need more visceral response, more revulsion to the death and destruction, and more care for peace. Instead of working out a plan that will ensure peace for generations, the politicians should be working out a plan to stop the shooting now.

My visceral response is to seek a complete rout of the Hez. I'm not revolted by the destruction of Hezbollah's facilities, infrastructure, and staff. Plus if Hez houses civilians in military target areas, I am revolted by them, rather than by Israeli missile strikes aimed at non-civilian targets.

My visceral response is to seek peace for generations first, while stopping the shooting as soon as advantageous.

If Hez is an infection ravaging a potentially healthy body, i.e., Lebanon, then stopping shooting now would be equivalent to stopping antibiotics to administer painkillers because of a revulsion to the patient's groaning. The patient will stop groaning, sure, but the infection will spread and become intractable. Plus the patient will develop a resistance to the painkillers, which will be needed later as the infection spreads.

On the other hand, since our opinions hold little weight with the way of the world, maybe it is better to have a visceral revulsion to the death. Granted that makes us puppets to the propaganda efforts of the Hez, but what does that matter?