[lit-ideas] Re: ye olde political mindset

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 20:29:03 -0400

attitude which takes into consideration fellow-feeling, compassion,
empathy, justice and other values which we ascribe to ourselves alone.
(Surely we intend the term to exclude the animal world -- although, just as
surely, animals are sometimes more 'humane' than we humans.)

> For "humane," Merriam-Webster gives, "marked by compassion,
> sympathy, or consideration for humans or animals."
>
> I believe my desire to see the Hez transformed into a
> nonmilitary organization with no ties to Iran is indeed a
> humane desire.

Not to mention that your desire is nothing more than a wish the way things
are shaping up.  Even if they do destroy Hezbollah, it will be a Pyrrhic
victory.  I wonder if Israel were given the chance to turn back the clock,
I wonder if they wouldn't jump at the opportunity.

> As for CR's, "birth pangs of a New Middle East," I think it
> is a far more humane formulation than those "death to
> Israel" remarks coming from Ahmadinejad.

Ahmadinejad talks a good line while Israel turns a country into rubble.
That makes Israel more humane.  Go figure.