[lit-ideas] Re: why can't the english (professors) learn how to speak?

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 11:49:00 +0000 (GMT)

Of course, the question is itself badly phrased: they have learnt how to speak.
What the "quote" shows is not an inability to speak but some alleged defect in
their writing. So the question would be clearer if phrased as 'Why can't
English professors write better English (than what they sometimes do)?" Not
being an English professor, I not only bow to Lacan who bows to Freud who bows
to the Greeks, but bow out here.

Donal