[lit-ideas] Re: why can't the english (professors) learn how to speak?

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 11:53:41 +0000 (GMT)

There are many reasons for this lack of clarity, but some are intellectual or,
perhaps, pseudo-intellectual. Somewhere along the line some academics come to
believe, or act as if they believe, something like the following:

(1) The measure of the intellectual worth of something is its level of
difficulty, and the greater the level of difficulty the more difficult it is to
understand [conversely, what is easy to understand cannot be that difficult and
cannot be worth that much intellectually].
(2) A technical jargon is more precise than plainer language, and the greater
the precision of expression the greater the intellectual worth of what is being
expressed.
(3) The reality of whatever subject-matter is complex, and so complexity in
expression must be needed to reflect that complex reality [conversely,
simplicity/clarity of expression is inadequacy of expression, and also reflects
a failure to grasp the complexity of subject-matter].

That such beliefs themselves contain confusions and fallacies is something
worth pursuing. But there is a tendency to want to impress intellectually, and
this favours such beliefs even if they do not stand serious examination. For a
start academics seek to secure their positions by impressing those whose
approval is needed to gain academic position: and this is central to
examinations and whole malarkey.

Donal

Who would recommend as light holiday reading here Popper's "Against Big Words"