[lit-ideas] Re: why can't the english (professors) learn how to speak?

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 13:54:20 -0330

Feeling the years / grumping away:

1. A cashier at Shoppers Drug Mart gave me a senior's discount without asking.
(I complained to the manager and she has been moved to the stockroom.)

2. A young lady offers me her seat on a crowded subway car. (I complained to
the
driver and she was tossed off the car. No, no trolley problem there.)

3. Beig referred to as "Opa Valter" come March.

4. Undergrads asking me to put my  class notes online. (No, I never had class
notes. Should I start now? And even if I did, I don't do technical support.)

5. Having upper university administration who are younger than I am.

6. Students who are younger than my 26 yr old daughter.

7. A young lady offers me her seat ... oh, yes, already mentioned that one. But
it really irks me.

8. A weakening backhand in table tennis.

9. Recalling a book from the library only to be told I have already checked it
out. (And its due next week, damn!)

10. Being the only person in an undergrad class who has seen *Rear Window*,
*Twelve Angry Men* and *Charade.*

11. Being the only person in a grad class who has seen ....

12. Being the only person in an undergrad class who isn't sure whether Justin
Bieber is a singer or stand-up comedian.

13. Being the only person in an undergrad class who can't stand poutine.

14. Paying a young man with a plough to shovel my walkways and driveway.

15. Allowing myself only one piece of kirschtorte for dessert.

16. Realizing that the older I get, the less patience I have for rabid
post-structuralist, post-modern, post-colonial, psychoanalytic
deconstructionist, you're-complicit-in-racism-because-you're
white-and-thus-privileged, "scholarship."

17. Realizing, as a reviewer, that journal editors send me the crap they don't
want to see published in their journals because they know I have no patience
for ....

18. Finding that someone has replaced all my belts with shorter look-alikes.
(What kind of loonie would ....??)

19. Feeling more comfortable driving my Volvo at 40k per hour rather than 140k.

20. Believing that a smartboard is a self-cleaning blackboard but thinking I
may
be wrong about that, and maybe my Education students don't wish to correct me
... (nah, can't be.)

21. Having a landline telephone and not owning a cell phone.

22. Wondering why people snicker when I proudly show them my commodore 64.

23. Finding out that my college sweetheart, who was my age at the time, is now
58 yrs old and a very successful plastic surgeon with her own clinic in Carmel,
California. (I knew I should have developed an interest in trosopholo (sp?)
flies rather than Hegel.)

There, that does feel a might better.  Good idea, David.

Happy Holidays.

Walter O.

http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2012.php