[lit-ideas] Re: philosophical dreams

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 00:23:17 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Sun, 11/1/09, David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: philosophical dreams
> To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Sunday, 11 January, 2009, 8:33 PM
> On Jan 11, 2009, at 10:23 AM, John McCreery wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone here have philosophical dreams?
> >
> > John

It depends where we stand on "philosophical": few us dream the crystaline
propositions of the TLP, or can put in dream-terms the fears inspired by
Carnap's trumpet or even the pleasures of the 'nomological dangler', and thus
we currently lack any journal devoted to presenting dreams as "philosophical".
Yet in classical Western tradition, where "philosophical" broadly denotes what
lies outside of science, if dreams lie outside of science then all our dreams
are philosophical, even if they are nonsense.

Donal
Just awoke laughing from a dream where I imagined watching a video where the
Prince was delivering a great old joke with the punchline "our little Paki
friend"!
Was earlier crying though throughout 'Schindler's List' with the wife, but we
both cheered up when watching the dvd's hilarious 'outtakes' feature, with
Ralph Fiennes screwing up his funny walk and Ben Kingley patting his head like
a banana-nosed monkey being highlights
Ate a piece of cheese
Back to sleep, perchance to dream