[lit-ideas] Re: knowledge and belief briefly

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 11:32:35 -0800 (PST)

If I say that an eight-grader knows Newtonian physics, what I probably mean is
that e.g. he knows the laws of motion as Newton stated them. For example, he
knows that the Third Law of Motion states that for every action there is an
equal and opposite reaction. This knowledge is true in the sense that this is
indeed what the Third Law of Motion states, irrespective of whether the Law
itself is true. But if he doesn't know what the Third Law of Motion states, or
if he states it incorrectly, then he doesn't know Newtonian physics. Similarly,
if I say that I know the Book of Kings, I mean that I have studied the book and
that I know its content, irrespective of whether the historical account in the
book is true. I am still not persuaded that such examples represent instances
of 'false knowledge', which I suspect they are meant to be.

O.K.

On Sunday, December 22, 2013 8:10 PM, David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Wensleydale, the chicken.  She who is one with the Druids.

David