[lit-ideas] Re: knowledge and belief briefly

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 12:53:29 -0330

I submit that the idea of "false knowledge" is self-contradictory. If I k-that
P, then P can't be false. If P is false, then I don't/can't k-that P. (Although
I can of course k-that P is false.)

Let's not conflate k-that and k-about or k-of (the latter 2 in the "familiar
sense of k" or "k by acquaintance" as per Russell). I can k-of or k-about, be
familiar with, all sorts of accounts. That does not mean I k-that anything.

Try this: I may claim to k-that natural selection is different from sexual
selection in Darwin's theory. The cogency of my claim that I k-that the 2
differ depends upon whether I believe they differ. And that belief is itself
dependent/conditional  epistemically upon my having the relevant justification
for that belief. Otherwise I believe irrationally.

Or not?

Walter O