[lit-ideas] Re: knowledge and belief briefly

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 13:46:28 -0330

The examples I gave in my recent post show, imho, that statements derived from
theory are not holistically integrated as to truth. One can thus "save the
theory" despite particular anomalies and falsifications of predictions. I'm
totally OK with OK's position here. And I agree, as I say, with Richard:
Donal's concerns amount to a tempest within a teapot, and I would add, a
tempest itself a tempest within another teapot a la Russian babushka dolls.
(Yes, it's turtles all the way down.)

But this being said, we must not reject Donal's view prematurely. 2 theories
may
"travel along the same rails" for some time. But at one point, the 2 theories
diverge, due to the findings of a "crucial experiment" - i.e. Eddington. These
findings falsify one theory but leave the other theory unscathed. Despite the
falsification, the falsified theory continues to generate useful applications -
i.e., we get to the moon, we can produce an 18 yr old single malt in 2 years,
and we have a cure for the common cold. Nevertheless, one theory yields false
predictions or inferences in one or a number of particular applications, while
the other does not, as yet.

What I think all this means must await another occasion. For there are
leftovers
from Christmas dinner to be holistically integrated and served.

Waiting for the *real* Christmas, Valodsya Mihailovich Gavrilov Okshevsky III
(who does not cross himself backwards like some people .... and understands the
true theory of The Trinity as expostulated by St. Valodsya, Christianizer of
Olde Russe.)

Walter O
MUN

P.S. Yes, so the question emerges: How different is science from religion
really? If even a third of what Kuhn wrote is true, is there a defensible way
of distinguishing between the articles of faith of a religion and the
presuppositions of a scientific paradigm? Surely k-that can't be like turtles
all the way down. At bottom, there must be a foundation, as the last Witters
averred.