[lit-ideas] Re: health care

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 19:53:06 +0000

Thursday, November 25, 2004, 11:38:32 AM, JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

Jac> Judy, Teemu, Erin, John, anyone else outside of the US -- I'm curious --
Jac> what does a standard Doctor's office visit cost you, in U.S. dollars?

zero

What
Jac> would a regimine of 10 days of amoxicillan run?

zero - as I have already paid my £99 p.a. "prescription pre-payment --  and it
would be zero if I were exempt from charges: details here (for England: in
Wales, further categories of people are exempt).

www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23069022/

otherwise, whatever a prescription item costs; £6.40 (but in Wales, £5.0, and
the Welsh Assembly intends abolishing all charges by 2007).

>  or a CAT scan?

zero on the NHS.  But there would -- normally, and hereabouts -- be a wait. I
only had to wait a month for a totally non-urgent NHS MRI, because the Cardiff
medics make good use of cancellations, ringing people who live nearby and can
take up a place at short notice. That MRI (of both knees) done privately at the
local BUPA (main private health insurers) hospital would have cost
approximately 940 USD.

I have no idea what private GPs charge for appointments, nor what private
prescriptions cost nor what the drugs cost

--
 Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK
mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx