[lit-ideas] Re: health care

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 12:47:28 -0500

At 12:27 PM 11/25/2004, you wrote:
>Paul Stone:
>
>"If you are just sick, forget it. It's less of a problem to stay and
>home and tough it out for a few days."
>
>And that is a bad thing?

It depends on whether you HAVE to go to work or school and might infect
others. I can't tell you how many exams I wrote in university when I was
completely under-the-weather because I literally couldn't afford a doctor's
note. As a part-owner of a three person company there are days where I
simply CANNOT call in sick when I probably should. If I could easily and
inexpensively get a presciption to get me through those important meetings,
I might think about it. As it is, I don't.

I agree that people probably go to the doctors too much and I rarely go to
the doctors because I don't get sick very often and I DO generally tough it
out, but like policemen and firemen, the medical profession should be there
when you need them and in my broad experience, they simply aren't really
"THERE" to my liking when I DO need them. The main trouble is that other
people seem to need em a little too much.

In general, I think that you SHOULD tough it out, but some illnesses can
masquerade as the flu. A friend lost his sister to meningitis because, due
to the situation at the doctors and hospitals, a really bad headache and
projectile vomitting (I.e. bad case of the flu) was ignored and she died.
Of course this is anecdotal, but how many aches and pains are ignored
successfully simply because of the extreme hassle? LOTS!!!

paul

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON, Canada