[lit-ideas] Re: health care

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 11:52:26 -0500

Marlena in Missouri wrote:

"What about children, though?  Are the kids of the private  business
employees covered?"

My family is covered by my University plan through a minimal ($200?) extra
charge.  This covers dental, most prescription drugs, and doctor's visits.
With the drugs, we only have to pay a service charge to the pharmacy that
amounts to about $10.

I don't know how the University's plan compares to other plans but we are
very happy with it.  Perhaps my experience is exceptional, but I have no
complaints about the provincial health program (OHIP) or the extra coverage
we have through the school.  Daughter #1 burnt her face, shoulders and back
when she pulled down a freshly brewed cup of tea off a table.  We live,
literally, a few blocks from a world class children's hospital where my
daughter had exceptional care that cost us nothing.  And then with all the
other ordinary health issues that come with kids, at no point have we felt
that the system was a problem.  In fact, I am often overwhelmed by what the
system is willing to cover.  My kids can now get the chicken pox vaccine for
free.  There are ways the system could be improved, but I wouldn't trade
what we have for anything else.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON