[lit-ideas] calling all freelancers

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 00:43:23 EDT

Hi,
On one of my librarian-types of lists, this showed up and I wondered  if any
of those who are into the writing mode were aware of it.   Andreas?  Eric?

Wishing she had scribbled for pay instead of reading for wonder,
Marlena in Missouri

Class Action settlement for Freelancers
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:54:42  +0000
From Poynter.org
A proposed settlement in a class-action  publishing lawsuit could
divvy up as much as $18 million dollars among  qualifying freelance
writers.

Anyone who's written a freelance article  since 1977 should check out
this site, FreelanceRights.com, (_http://freelancerights.com/_
(http://freelancerights.com/) ) which
has been set up  about the settlement.

<_http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=32&aid=80843_
(http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=32&aid=80843) >

Under  the terms of the settlement, publishers (including The New York
Times, Time  Inc., The Wall Street Journal) and database companies
(including Dow Jones  Interactive, Knight-Ridder, Lexis-Nexis,
Proquest, and West Group) agreed to  pay writers up to $1,500 for
stories in which the writers had registered the  copyright in
accordance with timetables established in federal copyright law.  And
even writers who failed to register their copyrights will receive  up
to $60 per article.