[lit-ideas] Re: calling all freelancers

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 22:00:59 -0700

> Does this mean—and why doesn't it?—that anyone who has posted to
> Lit-Ideas since its inception is already a winner? Our posts are
> published not only on the listserv, where they're viewable by list
> members, but on the Internet. Or does 'in print' mean what it used to
> mean before the advent of computer screens and digital imagery?

If Lexis-Nexis (or, as a friend calls it: Lexus-Nexis) (or any of the online
DBs) has copied
your emails and has it available in their database, then yes, you could be a
winner. This
doesn't mean "in print", i.e., on paper. It means "in their online collection
of articles,
which those companies have been selling for many years."

The point is that the NYT, the Wall Street Journal, and other copyright pirates
have been
collecting content and selling it online. They refused to pay the authors.
There was a
lawsuit against them, but they fought it all the way to the Supreme Court
(their argument:
We're Big Publishing Houses and we're entitled to copyright piracy) where they
lost, and
then refused to deal with it for many years. They finally reached a settlement
for $18m.

In the ten years of this list with maybe 30 postings per day, that's maybe
110,000 emails x
$60 per email = $6.57 million. Shall we endow a chair at Mutton College?
Robert, what's the
proper process for this? Shall I just send the check for $6.57 million to you
at your hot
tub in Laguna Beach? May I deduct a 10% finders fee for Marlena?

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com