[lit-ideas] Re: Willie Pete, well, okay, a little bit

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 17:29:19 EST

Riverbend's take on it:

_Baghdad Burning_ (http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/)

<<Thursday, November 17, 2005

Conventional Terror...

_It sat on my PC desktop for five days. _
(http://www.rainews24.rai.it/ran24/inchiesta/video/fallujah_ING.wmv)

The first day I  read about it on the internet, on some site, my heart sank.
White phosphorous in  Falloojeh. I knew nothing about white phosphorous, of
course, and a part of me  didnât want to know the details. I tried
downloading
the film four times and was  almost relieved when I got disconnected all four
times.

E. had heard  about the film too and one of his friends S. finally brought it
by on CD. He and  E. shut themselves up in the room with the computer to
watch the brief  documentary. E. came out half an hour later looking pale- his
lips tightened in  a straight line, which is the way he looks when heâs
pensive... thinking about  something he'd rather not discuss.

âHey- I want to see it tooââ I  half-heartedly called out after him, as
he
walked S. to the door.

âItâs  on the desktop- but you really donât want to see it.â E. said.

I avoided  the computer for five days because every time I switched it on,
the file would  catch my eye and call out to meâ now plaintively- begging to
be
watched, now  angrily- condemning my indifference.

Except that it was never  indifferenceâ it was a sort of dread that sat deep
in my stomach, making me feel  like I had swallowed a dozen small stones. I
didnât want to see it because I  knew it contained the images of the dead
civilians I had in my head.

Few  Iraqis ever doubted the American use of chemical weapons in Falloojeh. We
âve  been hearing the terrifying stories of people burnt to the bone for well
over a  year now. I just didnât want it confirmed.

I didnât want it confirmed  because confirming the atrocities that occurred
in Falloojeh means verifying how  really lost we are as Iraqis under American
occupation and how incredibly  useless the world is in general- the UN, Kofi
Annan, humanitarian organizations,  clerics, the Pope, journalistsâ you name
it-
weâve lost faith in it.

I  finally worked up enough courage to watch it and it has lived up to my
worst  fears. Watching it was almost an invasive experience, because I felt
like
someone had crawled into my mind and brought my nightmares to life. Image
after  image of men, women and children so burnt and scarred that the only way
you  could tell the males apart from the females, and the children apart from
the  adults, was by the clothes they are wearingâ the clothes which were
eerily
intact- like each corpse had been burnt to the bone, and then dressed up
lovingly in their everyday attire- the polka dot nightgown with a lace
collarâ
the baby girl in her cotton pajamas- little earrings dangling from little  ears.

Some of them look like they died almost peacefully, in their sleepâ  others
look like they suffered a great deal- skin burnt completely black and  falling
away from scorched bones.

I imagine what it must have been like  for some of them. They were probably
huddled in their houses- some of them- tens  of thousands of them- couldnât
leave the city. They didnât have transport or  they simply didnât have a
place
to go. They sat in their homes, hoping that what  people said about Americans
was actually true- that in spite of their huge  machines and endless weapons,
they were human too.

And then the rain of  bombs would beginâ the wooooosh of the missiles as they
fell and the sound of  the explosion as it hit its targetâ and no matter how
prepared you think you are  for that explosion- it always makes you flinch. I
imagine their children  covering their ears and some of them crying, trying to
cover up the mechanical  sounds of war with their more human wails. I imagine
that as the tanks got  closer, and the planes got lower- the fear increased-
and parents searched each  otherâs faces for a solution, for a way out of the
horror. Some of them probably  decided to wait it out in their homes, and
others must have been desperate to  get out- fearing the rain of concrete and
steel and thinking their chances were  better in the open air, than confined in
the homes that could at any moment turn  into their tombs.

Thatâs what we were told before the Americans came-  itâs safer to be
outside of the house during an air strike than it is to be  inside of the
house.
Inside of the house, a missile nearby would turn the  windows into millions of
little daggers and walls might come crashing down. In  the garden, or even the
street, youâd only have to worry about shrapnel and  debris if the bomb was
very close- but what were the chances of  that?

That was before 2003â and certainly before Falloojeh.

That  was before men, women and children left their homes only to be engulfed
in a  rain of fire.

Last year I blogged about Falloojeh and said:

_âThere is talk of the use of cluster bombs and other forbidden  weaponry.â
_
(http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/2004_11_01_riverbendblog_archive.html#110003558181121517)

I was immediately attacked with a barrage of emails from  Americans telling
me I was a liar and that there was no proof and that there was  no way
Americans would ever do something so appalling! I wonder how those same  people
justify this now. Are they shocked? Or do they tell themselves that  Iraqis
arenât
people? Or are they simply in denial?

The Pentagon  spokesman recently said:

_"It's part of our conventional-weapons inventory and we use it  like we use
any other conventional weapon,"_
(http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051116/pl_nm/iraq_usa_phosphorus_dc_2;_ylt=AgdFF_4lSCBbdFP64V7ORgZsbEwB;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mB
HNlYwMlJVRPUCUl)

This war has redefined  âconventionalâ. It has taken atrocity to another
level. Everything we learned  before has become obsolete. âConventionalâ
has
become synonymous with  horrifying. Conventional weapons are those that eat
away
the skin in a white  blaze; conventional interrogation methods are like those
practiced in Abu Ghraib  and other occupation prisonsâ

Quite simplyâ conventional terror.  >>

========Original  Message========
Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Willie Pete, well, okay, a little bit  Date: 11/16/05
7:28:11 PM Central Standard Time  From: _andreas@xxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Sent on:
> Yet WP is not outlawed.

Use of white  phosphorus is not specifically banned by any treaty. However,
there is a debate
on whether white phosphorous is a chemical weapon and thus outlawed by the
Chemical Weapons
Convention (CWC) which went into effect in April of 1997.  The CWC is
monitored by the
Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical  Weapons. The spokesman for that
organization,
Peter Kaiser, stated that  white phosphorus was not against the convention if
it was used as
a lighting  agent, but "If on the other hand the toxic properties of white
phosphorus, the
caustic properties, are specifically intended to be used as a weapon, that
of course is
prohibited, because the way the Convention is structured or the  way it is in
fact applied,
any chemicals used against humans or animals that  cause harm or death
through the toxic
properties of the chemical are  considered chemical weapons."

However, even when it is used as a weapon,  it may be argued that it is not
the toxic
properties of white phosphorus,  but the heat which is produced by its
deployment, and thus
white phosphorous  is not a chemical weapon, but an incendiary weapon.

As to its use as an  incendiary weapon, the 1980 Convention on Conventional
Weapons (Protocol
III) prohibits the use of air-delivered incendiary weapons against civilian
populations or
indiscriminate incendiary attacks against military forces  co-located with
civilians.

However, the protocol also specifically  excludes weapons whose incendiary
effect is
secondary, such as smoke  grenades. This has been often read as excluding
white phosphorus
munitions  from the protocol, as well.

The United States is among the nations that  are parties to the convention
but have not
signed Protocol  III.