[lit-ideas] Re: Toulmin's Gross Moral Turpitude

  • From: Paul Stone <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 12:23:24 -0500

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 7:08 PM, <jlsperanza@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> In a message dated 12/17/2009 3:30:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> pastone@xxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> And I cannot see where even a perfect Gricean like yourself could ever
> glean the implicature that I "want him not to be a guy".
>

> --- Well, weren't you complaining that the man shouldn't be given proper
> burial (he was cremated, incidentally) because, well, "he was just your
> average Joe" (a regular guy). Surely the implicature is that only people who
> are NOT guys, or joes, should get a burial, etc.

I was just pointing out how -- with everyone, but especially with famouse
everyones -- we never talk about them until they are dead. Is that all we
are? We are just a living history until we die and THEN people talk about
us? Even the stupidest, dumbass criminal who dies "tragically" has glowing
obit quotes from people who say things like "he was just turning his life
around" or "he just fell in with the wrong group of fellows" (sounds like a
song doesn't it?)

taking care of business,