[lit-ideas] Re: Toulmin's Gross Moral Turpitude

  • From: jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 19:08:14 EST

In a message dated 12/17/2009 3:30:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
pastone@xxxxxxxxx writes:

And I  cannot see where even a perfect Gricean like yourself could ever
glean the  implicature that I "want him not to be a guy".

--- Well, weren't you complaining that the man shouldn't be given proper
burial (he was cremated, incidentally) because, well, "he was just your
average  Joe" (a regular guy). Surely the implicature is that only people who
are
NOT  guys, or joes, should get a burial, etc.

----

jls